Thursday, December 29, 2011

No New Years' Resolutions......just Beauty and Fashion Solutions! AND...Ladybugs in Winter?

I decided to write about the latter part of my blog title first....so please bear with me while I gush a little........
My daughter Jena LOVES ladybugs and so my granddaughter Chloe will grow up learning to love them too! Her bedroom is all ladybugs and of course the baby gifts and clothes at the baby shower were mostly ladybugs! Chloe has proven that she can wear the red and black of a ladybug well. Her Great-Aunt Michele gave this adorable outfit to her for Christmas and she came over my house today with it on......



even the socks match.....



She also wears the red of a Cinderella dress well.....her Christmas outfit bought for her by me...NaNa



Okay, so now on to the New Years' Fashion stuff...........

Around this time of year the one thing I dread is all the talk about New Years Resolutions! I don't make them because it is the quickest way to set yourself up for failure! If I want to lose weight I start in October! If I want to eat better I start in July when all the fresh fruits and veggies are available.


One thing I can always improve on for the new year though is my own personal style. So, what I do start thinking about is what I can do to start the New Year out looking and feeling better. My birthday is at the end of January and it seems that right after that I start to age....again! I want to be careful about my hairstyle, my makeup and what I wear so that it is age appropriate. I want to look good but I want to be me!
One year I decided I needed to upgrade my skincare and my makeup. I was a huge QVC watcher and user of  qvc.com at the time and I learned alot about the different skincare products out there. They carry Philosophy skincare and once I tried it, I was hooked.
The Purity cleanser is fabulous and pair that with a Clarisonic cleansing system (also available at QVC) and poof! Better looking skin.  Here is a review and pictures of Purity at Swatch and Learn, a beauty review blog.
I use Miracle Worker moisturizer by Philosophy and the hope in a tube lip and eye firming cream is great also. These products can be found at Sephora which is online, in some JC Penney stores and actual Sephora stores in the mall but QVC carries the larger sizes and there is a much better value for the money. It is in the higher price range but what is a little more for the price of  beauty?!
I find it easier and kinda fun to spend big on myself at the beginning of a new year! That is why another year I used a gift certificate to a high-end spa to have my makeup done. I decided I would buy all the makeup they used on me (it looked great!). When the total reached $275 I decided to go a little slower with the purchases! I brought it down to about $100 worth of Laura Mercier makeup and I still use it. The foundation is fabulous and I see a difference in how my skin looks.  It too is available at Sephora and like the Philosophy brand, the prices are set by the company so it is the same price wherever you go. Although QVC does not carry Laura Mercier makeup, they happen to have a deal with Philosophy to carry the larger sizes and they can offer a better price. My last 32 oz. jar of Purity cleanser lasted me 13 months!
I have had the same hairstyle for ever so recently I cut it shorter....kinda like Sharon Osbourne had it during the last season of America's Got Talent.


 Lately it looks like she has grown it out but I am going into the new year with it! Every other year I get a new pair of eyeglasses too and that is always a boost to my style! My hairdresser is my daughter Candice, by the way, and she is one of the up and coming hairstylists at the Scott Miller Salon in Pittsford, NY.
I have so digressed from the original intent of this blog! I wanted to share what I think is a great way to accessorize yourself throughout the winter months. There are winter coats and scarves and sweaters and jackets to wear...all of which are perfect to attach a fabulous pin to. I just happen to have a passion for vintage buttons and one of the things I love to make with them is a nice sized pin. It is like putting a puzzle together and I like to call them Funky Button Pins.
I offer them in both of my Etsy stores, The Button Lady and NaNa's Things.....One of my favorites is this Vintage Bunny Pin in ivory, white and gold...


It looks great on a jacket.....


or this red one....to hold a ruffled sweater in place....





I do have a thing for the military style and using vintage keys on button pins.....




They look great on jackets....


For your outerwear coat, maybe a more subtle ivory/white diamond shaped pin.....


They are also great on jean jackets for spring and summer.....


My newest creations for button pins are the puzzle piece pins. I started making these and then realized that puzzle pieces are the national symbol of the Autism Society and April is National Autism Awareness Month. They are a great item to wear on your lapel to show support or just to be fashionable and little funky! This one has a wintery feel to it and would look great on a white winter coat!


There are too many others to show them all here....thanks for hanging in with me this far!!! Please have a look in my shops and see if you want to spruce up your wardrobe for the New Year!
AnnMarie

1 comment :

  1. Great pointers on keeping up the fashion! My mother always keeps up with it. Even when the fashion goes back in time to bring a certain fashion back she already has it! She doesnt get rid of things! Im always look forward to seeing her dressed up when we go out and see what she is wearing! Especially the jewelry! I love her jewelry! Check her esty out because she is starting to sell all that stuff that she has keep for over 30 years! If I had money I would be buying it! Love you mom!
    Love Jena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".