Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Goodbye Old Friend

It may sound funny to refer to your vehicle as a friend, but think about it.

You go out to your driveway, or street in my case, everyday and probably without thinking too much about it, get in, hoping for a ride. It takes you where you need to go. It has been to every event of your life for however many years you have owned it. Whether you have taken it for granted or not, it has been there for you.

I watched my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport in Teal Green drive off yesterday on top of a flatbed of the local salvage company. I was sad.


It was time though. The truck had over 150,000 miles on it and had been in and out of the shop constantly in the last 6 months. One day it just stopped running.

We got this truck when my son was a baby boy of one. He will be 14 this summer. I remember being excited as I put him in his car seat in the back of it the day we picked it up.

It got us to the 1,000 Islands for vacation a thousand times.

It hauled a lot of stuff back and forth to our community theatre for productions.

It got me through a lot of rough upstate New York winters with the four wheel drive.

It was a good vehicle for 13 years and was something I depended on daily. I pick up my new vehicle this week.

I only hope it will be as reliable as my good old Jeep.


AnnMarie

8 comments :

  1. Ah, Ann Marie when you put it that way it does seem sad, but think of the new adventures that are ahead with your new vehicle! I hope we can get our new car next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. I had a similar feeling when my 1992 Honda Accord was being hauled away on a similar flatbed last year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did have that Jeep a long time. I have had 3 new autos and always get that sinking feeling in my stomach when they change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel! I've had my Ford Escape for 10 years now; it has 120,000 miles on it, never needed anything but the driver's side airbag fixed. It has been very faithful through work, long trips, grandkids - I don't even want to think about that first major failure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I understand. My car was given to me by my grandma and I learned to drive in it. I will soon be trading it for something more reliable as well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice you took a goodbye photos for the memories. My car is named Hazel. I'll miss her when she's gone too, but I'm hoping to keep her around long enough to send her off to college with my now 11 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I think it is totally understandable to call a vehicle a “friend” of sorts. My parents even named every one of their vehicles over the years. They would also let us kids have some input in the name, which was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".